1. Thanks for those of you who responded to the last “Pike’s Kneeee Mail Peek” – regarding the Super Bowl tool that was useful for you!
2. Moody Founder’s Week – great sessions and reunions with many people I haven’t seen for quite awhile! Lots of hugs, catching up, & prayer times!
3. Led two encouraging Retirement Home services – reflecting on the theme from Moody Founder’s Week (Be Holy – I Peter 1:15,16).
4. Led two Soul Food times (small groups I lead) includes physical food, then spiritual food (I Peter 1:1-16) – followed by prayer together.
5. Enjoyed hosting the C2L (Come To Life Student Ministries) Youth Pastors/Directors prayer/planning meeting. Led devotions about not letting things of this world shake you (Psalm 62:1-2, 5-8), then took all down to the lower level (basement) where the pipe freeze & burst in early January still has things a bit shook up! After taking our group picture down there, I showed them a picture on the wall with Isaiah 26:3 (KJV) from Mary McElroy – dear senior saint now with the Lord – which reads – “Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee, because he trusteth in thee.” Amen!
6. Spent a day speaking for elementary school classes about my heart surgery & recovery – fun time with my mom & friend I’ve known since grade school – Kathy (Morici) Houston!
7. Participated in the ordination council for Gary Lisle – in DeKalb – we met around 25 years ago! ’Twas a great time including several reunions – yes he passed with flying colors!
8. Spent a few days in Peoria area connecting with ministry leaders – great reunions with Mark & Chris Juchems & family, Cadre missionaries Bill & Stacy Allison,
Dave & Rennie Garda, and many others at the EQUIP Convention at Peoria Christian School.
9. The past few days have included great connections with people raising $support for foreign ministries (Andy Smith & family – Indonesia, Jason Quick & family – Philippines). Jason Quick is also helping us work on major updates to the ministry website, which we hope to have in place by May/June.
Since my sabbatical, one thing I have been trying to do is to incorporate more time in my work day for prayer – interceding for ministry leaders, family, friends, etc.
I’m grateful to interact with them through the internet, mail, phone, and/or in person, yet I realize a huge way I can have an impact is in prayer.
One of the books the Lord used during my sabbatical was A Journey to Victorious Praying (Finding Discipline and Delight in your Prayer Life) by Bill Thrasher Copyright©2003 / Moody Publishers
A few quotes from this book that have been in my mind as I pray include:
p.54 “To learn to let God set the agenda of our prayer life will resurrect it.”
p.123 “Dr. Bill Bright, the founder of Campus Crusade for Christ, in the midst of his demanding ministry said that he longed for the day that he could be promoted from his job as president to the ministry of intercession.”
p.125 “The sin of prayerlessness (compare I Samuel 12:23) brings great harm to one’s own life.”
p.138 “We might not be able to speak in any pulpit we choose, but we certainly can pray for any pulpit…
We can only be one place at one time, but our prayers can cover more than one continent.”
Many of us have felt the cold weather effect our energy this winter. I sure have. It’s nice to know my prayers can make a difference when I can’t be with those the Lord puts on my heart to reach out to (especially ministry leaders – as the Lord has called me to coach/care for, and offer ministry encouragement via Come To Life Ministries).
I hope those quotes can spur you on in your prayer life – thanks again Dr. Thrasher!
1. Mar 9 (Sun) Lead Retirement Home Worship Service (Sunnymere – Aurora).
2. Mar 13 (Thu) Lead Retirement Home Worship Service (Provena Fox Knoll – Aurora)
3. Mar 13 (Thu PM) Host a table with mom for Wayside Cross UYM (Urban Youth Ministries) Fund Raising Dinner (speaker – Josh McDowell) (Naperville).
4. Mar 18 (Tue) Lead two Soul Food small groups (one during lunch in Aurora, the other during supper in Oswego).
5. Mar 22 (Sat) Attend memorial service for Lou Horwath who passed away in January. Lou’s wife Bea and my mom have been friends over 80 years! My mom and Bea received Christ as their Savior at the same children’s ministry event when they were in elementary school in Chicago!
6. Mar 29-30 (Sat-Sun) C2L Breakaway (annual all-night evangelistic outreach event for jr. & sr. high students & leaders) (South Suburbs) –
– for Breakaway registration & other details, email Director Joan Vana at email@example.com
7. Multiple connections with ministry leaders.
8. Pike’s Peek (with pictures) will be put together and sent (snail mail and/or email) in the next few weeks.
Thanks again for your partnership in prayer!
Grace n peace 2 u,